PhD (Environ. Eng.) University of Minnesota
MTech (Chem. Eng.) Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
BSc (Chem.) Calcutta, BTech (Chem. Eng.) University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India
Our research can be categorized in two broad areas: (i) advanced treatment technologies for water and waste treatment, and (ii) environmental modelling. All our contributions in research have a direct bearing on the reduction of environment pollution or understanding the fate processes of the pollutants in natural environment. Some of our pioneering research in advanced treatment technologies include: removal of bioaerosol using indoor lighting and a thin layer of TiO2 for designing sanitary surfaces for hospital, food processing industry or other clean room applications; improving the surface area and subsequent improvement in adsorption of organics by TiO2; doped TiO2 nanowires for water treatment and hydrogen production; photochemical reaction pathways relating hydroxyl radical, electron/hole, and superoxide radicals involved in photocatalysis of micropollutants in water; ultrasonication to pretreat anaerobic sludge prior to digestion to improve biogas production, odor removal, and sludge dewatering; membrane processes for removal of volatile compounds and micropollutants from water; application of bioassays for water quality evaluation; and modification of petroleum coke for adsorption of naphthenic acids from oil-sand processed water. In environmental modeling, we use both traditional approaches based on first principles, kinetics and equilibrium processes, and computational fluid dynamics (CFD). The recent work in this area includes modeling of pneumatic dryers for municipal sludge, determination of kinetic constants due to ultrasonic pretreatment of anaerobic sludge in traditional anaerobic digestion model and its sensitivity to relevant pretreatment parameters; design of open channel UV-disinfection reactor using CFD and CFD modeling of jet-mixing in wastewater reactor.
Professional Activities (last 5 years)
- Member, organizing committee, 3rd International Conference Bioprocess and Engineering, 4-5 May, 2015, Baltimore, USA.
- International Program Committee member, Water Resource Management (AfricaWRM 2014, September 1-3, 2014, Gaborone, Botswana.
- Co-Chair, Industrial Wastewater Treatment and Environment, CSChE 2013 Annual Conference, October 2013, Fredericton, New Brunswick.
- Member, International Advisory Board ICACE-2013, on Advances in Chemical Engineering” on March 8-9, 2013, NIT, Raipur, India
- Executive Member, Environmental Division, Chemical Institute of Canada, since 2012.
- Member, Technical Committee, IWA Biennial World Water Congress in Busan, Sept 16-21, 2012, Korea.
- Co-Chair, Environment, CSChE 2012 Annual Conference, October 2012, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Review panel member for the Ontario-China Research and Innovation Fund (OCRIF) competition, 2011.
- Visiting Scholar, China, India and Russia, 2011-2014.
- Member of the International Program Committee for the IASTED International Conference on Water Resource Management (AfricaWRM 2012), Gaborone, Botswana from 9/5/2012 to 9/7/2012.
- Member, Editorial Board, Open Journal of Physical Chemistry.
- Organizational member and theme leader, Environment, CSChE 2011 Annual Conference, October 2011, London, Ontario.
- Scientific Committee, ECI Conference on the subject of Electrokinetic Processes in Chemical Engineering, February 2010, Niagara Falls, Canada.
- Scientific Committee, 2010 IWA World Water Congress, August 2010, Montreal, Canada.
- Chair, OGS Chemical Engineering Panel, 2010
- Member, OGS Chemical Engineering Panel, 2012
- Member, Stakeholder's Review Group (SRG) for the Ministry of Environment, Canada for projects on water and energy conservation for sewage works and water reclamation and reuse, 2009-2010.
- Member, International Advisory Committee, enviroenergy 2009, March 19-21, 2009, Chandigarh, India.
- Guest Editor a special issue on "Emerging Environmental Technologies” for International Journal of Environmental Technology and Management, Vol 9 (1), 2008.
- Guest Editor a special issue on "Water Management”, International Journal of Environmental Engineering Science (IJEES), 2010.
- Guest Editor a special issue on " Green Processes and Environmental Sustainability” for International Journal of Chemical Engineering, 2010.
- Regular reviewer of NSERC, OCE, NSF, Austrian Science Fund, and Saudi Arabian Ministry of Science, Innovation and Technology.
- Regular reviewer of Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering Processing, Drying Technology, Environmental Engineering, JSCE, Journal of Aerosol Science, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Powder Technology, Separation and Purification Technology, Separation Science and Technology, Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry, Water Research., Environmental Science and Technology, Chemosphere