Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of British Columbia (1998)
M.A.Sc. Civil Engineering, Universite de Sherbrooke (1993)
B.A.Sc. Civil Engineering, Universite Laval (1991)
Dr. Nehdi was educated at Laval University, Sherbrooke University, and The University of British Columbia. He was Technical Director at Imasco Minerals Inc. in Vancouver B.C., before becoming a faculty member at The University of Western Ontario.
Dr. Nehdi’s research and consulting activities are in the area of cement and concrete technology, durability and repair of concrete infrastructure, structural behaviour of special concretes, modeling the behaviour of cement-based materials, and recycling industrial and mining by-products in construction applications.
In this website you find information on Dr. Nehdi’s research group and research facilities, his current projects, research partners, and publications. You also find information on his teaching and other professional activities.
Awards & Distinctions
- 2006 - Finalist for the Watson Medal for Most Meritorious Paper, American Concrete Institute, for “System dynamics model for sustainable cement and concrete: a novel tool for policy analysis”, ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 101, No. 3, pp. 216-225
- 2006 - Research Excellence Award, Alhosn University, Abu-Dhab
- 2004 - Keynote Speaker, Annual Conference on Concrete Technology and Corrosion Protection, Dubai, UAE, November
- 2004 - Young Member Award for Professional Achievement, American Concrete Institute
- 2002 - Mohan Mathur Engineering Award for Excellence in Teaching, Faculty of Engineering, University of Western Ontario
- 2002 - Petro Canada Young Innovator Award
- 2002 - Featured as a “Success Story” on the web site of the Natural Science & Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Sept. 25, 2001
- 2002 - Ontario Innovation Trust recognition for advancing innovative research and discovery through Recycling Industrial and Mining By-products in Construction Applications
- 2001 - Premier’s Research Excellence Award (PREA), Government of Ontario
- 2001 - Grant Award for Research on Balance between Technological Advance and Environmental Preservation, The Charles A. and Anne Morrow Lindbergh Foundation, Anoka, Minnesota, USA
- 2001 - New Faculty Fellow Award for Excellence in Engineering Education, American Society of Engineering Education and IEEE, Reno, Nevada
- 2000 - Conference Travel Award, Professors Seminar on Engineering of Concrete Pavements, American Concrete Pavement Association, Skokie, Illinois, USA
- 1998 - Ph.D. Thesis awarded best category A, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- 1994-1996 - Graduate Research Assistantship, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- 1991-1993 - Excellence Scholarship for Graduate Studies, Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
- 1993 - Gold Medal, CANBEQ Karate Championships, Montreal, Canada
- 1987-1990 - Excellence Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies, Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
- Member of Board Task Group on Sustainability, American Concrete Institute.
- Member of American Concrete Institute:
- Committee 224: Hydraulic Cements
- Committee E803: Faculty Network Coordinating Committee
- Committee 236: Material Science of Concrete
- Committee 555: Recycled Materials in Concrete
- Member of Canadian Standards Association Committee CSA A3000 on Hydraulic Cements and Supplementary Cementing Materials.
- Corresponding Member of ASCE Body of Knowledge (BOK) Curricula Committee.
- Member of Technical Committee of International Conference on Construction Materials Performance, Innovations and Structural Implications ConMAT’05, Vancouver, Canada, August 2005.
- Member of International Advisory Board, International Conference on Multi-purpose High Rise Towers and Tall Buildings (IFH-2005), Dubai, December 2005.
- Member of Scientific Committee, International Conference on Risk in Civil Engineering, Tunisia, February 2004.
- Reviewer ACI Materials Journal, ASCE Journal of Materials for Civil Engineering, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, Materials and Structures, Computers and Concrete, Cement and Concrete Research, Computing in Civil Engineering, several other journals, NSERC Cooperative Research Proposals, NSERC Discovery Grants, MMO Collaborative Projects and others.
Consulting and Industrial Activities
- Developing HPC pumpable over 300m for a 1 million cubic meter high rise construction project in hot weather, MBLC, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, June-July 2005.
- Recycling waste latex paint from the City of London’s collection site in concrete sidewalk construction, City of London and Earth-Tech, Product Care Association, 2004.
- Flexible protective buffer layer of cellular concrete for tunnel linings, Cellufoam Concrete Systems, Scarborough Ontario, Canada, 2000.
- Investigation of discoloration of architectural concrete columns in Windsor Hospital, Concrete Forming, London, Ontario, Canada, 2000.
- Impact of using surfactants in cement-based stucco, Imasco Minerals, Inc., Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 2000.
- Cracking of stucco cladding in Hawthorne Homes Calgary, Imasco Minerals Inc., Calgary, Alberta, 1999.
- Development of Elastomeric wall claddings, Imasco Minerals, Vancouver, BC, 1999.
- Reformulation of a line of synthetic stucco products to fit a new fully automated wet-mixing plant, Vancouver, B.C.
- Development of an exterior insulation and finish system (EIFS), Imasco Minerals, Vancouver, BC, 1999.
- Reformulation of acrylic stucco coatings for a new automated wet mixing plant, Imasco Minerals, Vancouver, BC, 1998.
- Design of drainage cavity claddings, Imasco Minerals Inc., 1998.
- Development of calcium carbonate paper coatings from Imasco’s calcium carbonate mine in Vancouver Island, Imasco Minerals Inc., Vancouver, BC, 1998.